Caring for our hair is an on-going process and any kind of lag can result in dry and frizzy hair. Dealing with hair strands which are haywire is something that none of us like. This often leaves us to look for ways to keep the frizzy hair at bay by opting for hair smoothening treatments. One of the most popular ways to achieve a smooth and frizz-free hair is through the Keratin hair treatment.
What Is Keratin?
Keratin is a protein which is naturally present in your hair, nails as well as skin. A number of keratin-associated proteins together make up the hair. The hair’s elasticity and only a structural support but also works as repair aide youthfulness is maintained with the help of keratin which acts as a shield around the hair shaft. Keratin provides not.
It provides an external protective layer in the outer layers of the hair which is the cuticle and also internal protective layer in the cortex which is the hair’s inner core.
Why Does Your Hair Need Keratin?
Our hair is exposed to a number of external as well as internal factors because of which it gets damaged either chemically or physically. The harsh UV rays of the sun, salt water, etc., all contribute towards damaging the health of our hair. The whole purpose of getting a keratin hair treatment is to bring back all the lost keratin in order to make our hair smooth and frizz-free again.
What Happens If We Lose Keratin From Hair?
What Is Keratin Treatment For Hair?
Whether you want to use keratin for curly hair or normal hair, it is important to ensure that the keratin hair treatment is carried out by professionals. A keratin treatment involves the use of a formula which is applied by the professionals. This formula consists of keratin as well as other ingredients. The keratin helps in smoothing out the cells which overlap in order to form the strands of hair.
This keratin-based formula is absorbed by the hair cuticle because of which your hair appears as full and shiny. It helps to make curly hair less frizzy and easier to maintain and style. The procedure of a keratin hair treatment is carried out as outlined below –
• The hair stylist will first apply a layer of the keratin formula on your hair.
• Then a hot flat-iron is used to seal the formula.
• The straightening effect comes into place when the chemicals present in the formula get activated due to the heat of the iron.
• Once done, you will notice that your hair has become smooth and silky.
Though the time taken for a keratin hair treatment depends upon the length and amount of your hair, an ideal treatment time is about 90 minutes.
How Long Does A Keratin Treatment Last?
Ideally, a keratin hair treatment will last for anywhere between two to three months. But the results also depend upon the type of keratin products that you have used as well as the aftercare that you have followed.
Keratin Hair Treatment Side Effects
Just like every other beauty and cosmetic treatment out there, a keratin hair treatment also comes with its own set of side effects. Despite the fact that keratin is safe for hair, you should be aware of its side effects also which include –
• People suffering from skin diseases or other issues such as psoriasis or dermatitis should avoid this treatment method.
• Formaldehyde is a substance which is used in a keratin hair treatment and it is related to various health conditions such as lung irritation, eye and skin irritation, cancer, etc.
• The heat of the flat-iron used in the treatment is close to 450 degrees which can cause severe damage to your hair follicles. Continuous use of the treatment can lead to split ends, dry and brittle hair as well as hair loss.
How To Improve Keratin In Hair?
Apart from opting for a keratin hair treatment, you can try and improve keratin in hair by following the below tips.
• Pay attention to what you are eating. There are few food items, which if included in your daily diet, can help in naturally improving the keratin in your hair.
• In order for your body to produce more keratin, you would have to include more protein-rich food items.
• Try and incorporate omega-3 fatty acids in your diet by consuming fatty fish. Please note that pregnant women should avoid mackerel.
• Include loads of food items which are rich in vitamin C
• Since biotin also plays an important role in the creation of keratin, you should include foods rich in biotin.
• Use hair products such as shampoos and conditioners which contain iron, zinc, vitamin E, vitamin B5 and copper. You can also use hair products which contain keratin as one of its ingredient.
• Avoid harmful habits which can further damage and deplete the keratin in your hair, such as using hair straighteners, bleaching your hair, etc.
• Always ensure that you wash your hair thoroughly after a swimming session.
• Try and cover your hair as much as possible when you are out in the sun. You can either use hats or scarves.
Though keratin hair treatment will not make your curly hair completely straight, it will definitely make it easier for you to deal with all the frizz and style your hair in a better way. Following the above-mentioned tips can help you in naturally maintaining the keratin in your hair. But if you do notice that your hair is becoming damaged due to lack of sufficient keratin, it is best to get a keratin hair treatment done!