When the outer layer of the skin is damaged by any kind of cut or incision, it often ends up leaving a scar. Getting scars and cuts is quite common. It doesn’t matter if you have had a paper cut or a wound scar, it can sometimes leave a permanent mark on the skin. So it is important to prevent them in the first place, from growing into scars. Alternatively, there are certain dedicated treatments that can remove a wound scar permanently.
How Are Wound And Cut Scars Formed?
In order to understand how to get rid of cut scars, it is important to learn about the formation of scars. Ideally, scars are formed during our body’s healing process. When the dermis or inner layer of our skin is damaged, our body starts producing new collagen cells. The damage can be caused by cuts or any other kind of incision. In order to mend the cut, new scar tissues are formed.
The new scar tissue has a different texture than the surrounding skin and even after healing, it can leave a permanent scar. Some individuals often ask why do some cuts heal but others form scars. This is because the healing process is not the same for every scar. Sometimes, the collagen level can match with the surrounding cells, resulting in a minimum wound scar. Therefore, one should not assume that from every wound there is a scar to follow.
Ideally, any body part can form a wound or a cut scar. While some scars are mild and heal gently, others can leave a permanent mark. A cut on the face often forms a scar because the skin on our face is more sensitive than other body parts.
What Are The Causes Of Wound And Cut Scars?
Since every scar is formed differently, there could be various reasons behind it. Ideally, any kind of damage to the skin can result in a scar. Cuts, acne, burns, keloid, inflammation, and overstretching of the skin are some of its main causes. A cut scar is caused due to paper cuts, injuries, self-harm, stabbing, surgery or an accident.
Most of the times, cut scars form a flat structure. If the collagen level is higher than the optimum amount, then it results in raised scars. Often, surgical scars and acne have a sunken appearance. This is caused due to the lack of support of the underlying structure. People suffering from depression also complain about self-cutting scars as well. The scars caused by cutting yourself can also be cured by getting a dedicated wound scar removal treatment.
How To Remove Wound Scars From Face?
Wounds and self-cutting scars on the face can be caused due to different reasons. There are a few wound scar removal treatments that can minimize the appearance of these scars and even get rid of them completely. To get a flawless skin, learn how to clear wound scars from face by following these approaches.
- Laser Therapy – Since our face has a sensitive skin, it is recommended to go with a non-invasive approach like this. If you wish to know how do you get rid of cut scars then you should consult a dermatologist about laser resurfacing. This is a reliable wound scar removal treatment. In this, the scar tissues are exposed to micro lasers in a controlled manner. The laser only disrupts the scar cells and boosts the formation of collagen. In this way, the new skin cells end up healing the area.
- Chemical Peeling – This is an accelerated form of exfoliation, which is recommended due to its high success rate. If the scars are not deep, then chemical peeling can give the desired results. In this, a plant extract solution is applied to the face. Depending on the intensity of the solution and the duration it is applied for, peeling can be classified as superficial, medium, or deep. It peels the upper layer of the skin, getting rid of all the prominent scars, wrinkles, and fine lines.
- Filler Injections – This is a non-invasive treatment for pitted skin areas caused by cuts on the face. With the help of specifically designed tools, fillers are injected into the skin. This raises the puffy areas and gives the skin a smooth finish. Even though this treatment can heal wound without scar, the effects are only temporary.
- Microneedling – Microneedling is one of the most popular approaches to heal wound scars. In this, micro-needles are punctured to the upper layer of the skin. This stimulates the production of fresh collagen and heals the surrounding areas. This wound scar treatment can heal raised as well as sunken scars.
- Dermabrasion – When cut scars on the face are quite prominent, dermatologists can follow this technique. In this, specially designed tools are used to puncture the scar tissues. A dermabrasion tool has sharp edges to gently exfoliate the surface of the skin. With dead cells, it also gets rid of the scar tissues. In this way, an experienced dermatologist can heal wound without any chances of scarring.
- Scar Removal Creams – While it can’t get rid of a scar entirely, it can certainly add to other cosmetic treatments. Dermatologists may prescribe them in addition to laser or chemical peel treatments. Visit your dermatologist to know the best ointment for wound scars for your skin type.
Treatments to get rid of deep cut scars?
Besides having wound scars on the face, it is quite common to have different kinds of deep cut scars on other body parts as well. To learn how to remove cut scars like these, either of these techniques can be implemented.
- Surgery – As surprising as it might sound, sometimes a surgical approach is followed to get rid of prominent scars. There are different kinds of scar revision techniques that can be performed, depending on the nature of the scar.
An incision is made and the scar tissues are handled carefully. Mostly, a layered wound repair approach is followed which shrinks the overall appearance of the scar. The suture size and needles are chosen wisely to minimize the mark. It doesn’t get rid of the scar entirely, but decreases its overall visibility.
- Steroid Injections – This is another non-invasive yet highly effective treatment for scar removal. The technique is still evolving and can help in getting rid of deep cut scars from face. In this, steroids are injected into the skin. This improves the overall quality of the skin cells and decreases the appearance of the scars. Sometimes, collagen is also injected directly to get immediate results.
- Punch grafting – Punch grafting is mostly recommended to heal deep scars on the face and other body parts. In this, healthy skin is obtained from a donor area (like the back of the earlobes). Later, it is attached (punched) to the infected areas. In this way, punch grafting helps in treating deep scars from cut. While the end results might leave a small scar, it is mostly smoother and smaller than the original wound.
- Other treatments – With the advancement in the medical science, we have come up with new ways to solve how to heal wound scars. Some advanced treatments like cryosurgery, radiotherapy, cortisone, silicone therapy, etc. are coming up for wound scar removal in the future.
Creams Vs Treatments For Healing Wound Scars
Quite often, patients would like to know whether they should go with a dedicated wound scar treatment or use a wound scar removal cream. While a scar removal cream can heal the overall appearance of the scar, it can’t get rid of it entirely. Furthermore, not every scar removal cream can work.
To know more about the best ointment for wound scars for your skin, you should visit an experienced doctor. Sometimes, even after using a wound scar removal cream, people don’t see a visible change. On the other hand, a wound scar treatment can give the desired results in less time.
Tips To Prevent Wounds And Cuts From Scarring
- Don’t let an injury get infected. Wash it with a disinfectant as soon as possible.
- Try to keep your skin moist so that it can heal without forming prominent scars.
- Once the scar is cleaned, it should be covered with a bandage to avoid infection.
- The bandage should be changed on a daily basis.
- Visit a doctor to get the wound checked. This will let you determine whether it requires stitching or not.
- Avoid hot showers, heating pads, or hot objects after the injury. Use silicone gel sheets instead.
- Try not to scratch the wound scar when it is healing.
In order to learn how to heal wound scars permanently, you should visit an experienced dermatologist.