Table of Contents
Facial hair is an extremely common issue in most women these days. While some just pluck them out and take a breather, whereas others take frequent salon visits to get rid of them. Facial hair in women is a thorny issue and we are talking about hirsutism, stubborn growth of unwanted hair on parts of face which is way more than normal. There are several options available to get rid of facial hair.
Facial Hair Growth In Women
Some women tend to develop excessive facial or body hair leading to a condition called Hirsutism. It is recognized by excessive dark, thick or coarse hair growth on face or body in females. The hair growth usually resembles that of male pattern and is caused due to hormonal imbalance. The most common spots where unwanted facial hair is noticeable, include – the chin, cheeks, sideburns and upper lip.
Whatever be the reason, everyone is wanting to get rid of unwanted facial hair or the peach fuzz to flaunt a smooth, hair-free skin.
Also Read: Laser Hair Removal Solution For Face
What Causes Unwanted Hair Growth On Face?
- For a majority of women, the problem of excessive facial hair is age-related.
- Other factors include hereditary reasons, ethnicity and hormonal imbalances. Usually, hormonal shifts begin in women way before menopause and can lead to abnormal hair growth in certain body parts. Some underlying hormonal abnormalities lead to over-production of androgens such as testosterone in women and cause male-pattern hair growth.
- Other reasons behind hormonal imbalances may be the formation of certain tumors or endocrine conditions in women. Health conditions in women related to the ovaries, the adrenal glands or the pituitary glands can accelerate hair growth. One such common condition linked with excessive facial hair is called Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome (PCOS).
- Some medicines such as birth control pills, drugs used to treat migraine, bipolar disorder or high blood pressure may also cause unwanted facial hair by stimulating androgen.
- Also, certain ethnic backgrounds are responsible for determining the standards of hair growth in women. For instance, women from ethnic backgrounds of the Middle East, South East Asia and the Mediterranean are found to be prone to excessive hair growth.
- In more basic terms, as women age, the female hormone (estrogen) levels decrease while testosterone increases leading to an imbalance which causes them to sprout shrubbery just like men.
How To Remove Unwanted Hair Permanently From Face?
There are several options to remove unwanted hair on face permanently, each with its own pros and cons. Let us get savvy and discuss these options one by one to help you choose the right method –
- Laser Treatment For Facial Hair – Laser treatment is an advanced cosmetic procedure that is scientifically considered the most effective way to eliminate unwanted facial hair. The results are instant and long-lasting. Laser is one of the most painless and the safest ways to remove unwanted facial hair permanently. Laser treatment can be effectively done on smaller areas such as the nose or upper lip to eliminate unwanted hair within minutes.
- Electrolysis Facial Hair Removal – This method works on the principle of heat-based process to target individual hair follicles and destroy them. It is proven to be effective in facial hair removal but the only drawback is that it is time-consuming. Apart from these, some side effects such as discoloration and low accuracy of the treatment make it a less popular choice.
Laser Face Hair Removal
If you are wondering about how to get rid of facial hair permanently in the safest and fastest way, then laser hair removal is the surest answer. Laser treatment is a revolution in the dermatology industry for unwanted facial hair removal. Being a safe and quick procedure, it is the most popular one amongst other ways to remove facial hair.
How Does Laser Treatment Works For Facial Hair Removal?
During laser treatment for facial hair removal, a concentrated beam of light is focused on hair follicles. When this high-density light falls on the hair follicle, it gets absorbed by the pigment present inside the hair called melanin. This, in turn, destroys the pigment inside hair and thereby inhibits future hair growth.
Only the basal stem cells of targeted hair follicles are destroyed during this procedure to get rid of facial hair. This is because the laser can be used to selectively target the dark pigmentation of the hair. Therefore, no harm is caused to the surrounding skin during laser treatment making it completely safe for unwanted facial hair removal.
The follicle gets destroyed during the laser session and new hair takes time to come. The new hair growth comes thinner than the normal after each session. After concurrent sessions of laser, one can achieve permanent facial hair removal or reduction.
Is Laser Hair Removal Safe For Face?
Laser treatment for facial hair removal is done using equipment which adheres to safety standards and is US FDA approved. Therefore, they do not cause any harm to the body.
Also, laser treatment is a non-invasive approach or cosmetic procedure which does not get inside any part of the body. This makes laser treatment to be 100% safe and effective. Just a handful of sessions is all one needs to reduce facial hair growth.
How Much Does Laser Hair Removal Cost For Face?
On an average, laser treatment for facial hair removal costs ranges between Rs. 3000 to Rs. 5000 per session, however the package varies from one individual to another. This is due to the fact that every individual responds differently to laser treatment.
Factors such as thickness and density of hair, skin type and color etc are playing a major role in determining the number of sessions required for removal of unwanted facial hair. Thus the total cost of laser treatment for facial hair will vary accordingly to achieve desired results.
Apart from that, the cost of laser treatment also depends on the choice of clinic and experience of the dermatologist.
Side Effects Of Laser Hair Removal On Face
Laser treatment for facial hair removal has little or no side effects. The process is pain-free in most cases. But some clients may feel a slight sensation of pin-prick or hot-stone massage kind of warm sensation. To avoid such discomforts, a numbing gel is applied for a smooth experience.
In some cases, the client may observe mild swelling or transient redness which is also normal and will disappear within a day or two.
Before & After Results Of Face Laser Hair Removal
Laser hair removal for face helps to get rid of facial hair from the first session itself. The procedure has no downtime and the results are quick. In fact, a short session of laser hair removal for upper lip area will require just 15 minutes and results can be seen in the form of reduced hair growth. Also, with every session, new hair growth comes off thinner and gets reduced as sessions advance.
After some six to eight sessions, one will notice a complete reduction in unwanted facial hair.
Other Methods To Remove Facial Hair
Temporary facial hair removal may seem like an easy process but it actually may be discomforting. It can be a tiring procedure to get rid of unwanted facial hair and get through razor nicks or painful waxing sessions. Here are some traditional methods used to get rid of unwanted facial hair at home or a salon –
- Tweezing – A pair of tweezers are used to zap unwanted hair from the face one by one. This is a low-investment method but highly time-consuming and painful. Also, new hair grows back within a week or two.
- Threading – Threading is most commonly used to shape eyebrows as well as getting rid of unwanted facial hair. A string is used to uproot hair from its roots with a precise technique. The method is extremely painful and may result in bumps or redness.
- Shaving – Shaving is one of the cheapest ways to get rid of facial hair. The only con is that it doesn’t do well for the people with sensitive skin type. If shaving is done incorrectly, it can lead to cuts or ingrown hair.
- Waxing – Face wax is used to get rid of unwanted facial hair from the root itself. The downside of waxing is that it doesn’t work on ingrown hair or on hair strands which are not long enough (less than 0.25 inches). Improper waxing may lead to redness, allergy, swelling and even acne.
- Depilatory Creams – Depilatory creams are hair removal creams that can be applied directly to the skin to get rid of facial hair. But the chemicals found in these creams are harmful to sensitive skin and may trigger an allergic reaction instantly.
Which Is The Best Way To Get Rid Of Unwanted Facial Hair?
This goes without saying that permanent facial hair removal using laser is better than temporary facial hair removal methods. The major difference being that laser gives permanent results for life, unlike temporary facial hair removal methods. Also, laser is a painless and quick way to get rid of unwanted facial hair with no side effects and little investment as compared to the temporary methods of hair removal.
How To Stop Facial Hair From Growing?
The following tips can be helpful in stopping further growth of facial hair –
- Follow cleansing moisturizing and scrubbing without fail
- Check all your medications and if anyone triggers facial hair growth, check with your dermatologist
- Proceed with laser hair removal and stay fair-free for life
Laser treatment for facial hair removal is the surest way to effectively get rid of the unwanted facial hair without breaking the bank. The treatment is completely safe and achieves desired results in just a few sessions. Laser treatment for face hair removal costs way less than the lifetime expenditure on tweezers, wax, epilators, razors or depilatory creams. It is a non-invasive, pain-free and cost-effective solution to getting hairless glory without any hassle.